Wednesday 29 January 2014

Bali: Faces I Met This Morning

Bali awakens your senses. This morning, the smell of incense and fallen rain slowly guides me to an early market in Kuta, Indonesia.


I'm surrounded by the sights, sounds and smells of a busy day that hasn't started yet. And without the distractions of passing tourists, its the local faces of those I met that intrigue me the most.

A woman weaving palm and bamboo leaves smiles and laughs with me as I stop, crouch down, and take her photo. She asks to see it, and I show her. Indah she replies. Beautiful. 



I turn to see a man reading the paper. Totally engulfed with the world in his hand, it's like he's at home. Or on a quiet beach. And with that, I feel like I'm there too. The old electrical pole next to him seems to turn into a sugar palm tree. I know, my mind wonders sometimes.


Early morning is slowly turning late and the market is busier now.

A shy elderly woman hides behind the market stall, grabbing with her my attention. I hesitate with the instinct to look at her through my lens. She looks almost lost. Sad. And the lines on her face draw me in to her little corner. Second pass before I reluctantly raise my camera.

Childishly, she looks up at me, awoken.

12 comments:

  1. This is brilliant. Your words.... I feel like I understand every 'layer' of each of these photos. Best first post I have ever seen. Will be keen to read the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an island girl, love Seychelles. Love Bali. Great writing! Can't wait to read your next blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CocoGirl! What an awesome nickname ;)

      Delete
  3. Love the pictures you take, especially the last one how you've captured her expression! Great blog name as well! "The blue bird of paradise", awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josh, it's also one of my favourite pictures!

      Delete
  4. A well written first blog. Keep posting more. This was very interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great writing and beautiful shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Taylor! I do enjoy taking them

      Delete
  6. I follow you on instagram and am so glad I have found your blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, when u come here again dear?

    ReplyDelete